Sunday 1 October 2023

still trying to understand

I don't drink to forget because the true value of a life is found in the pain that delivers change. I don't waste tears for yesterday because tomorrow I may find her. Some love a lifetime and spend every waking moment in the arms of the one they adore. That has not been my story but it does not make my life worthless. I held a love once that burnt hotter than the hell; that awaits me. It holds me still. It anchors me in a time when life was simpler and when my heart was flesh. As I fade its lustre and innocence gives me ballast and that memory will deliver me to the edge of my grave with a smile. 

We are a brief inconsequential moment in a billion years of darkness and fire. We are the children of exploding stars and the result of odds that even the most reckless gambler wouldn't play. But we must never disconnect our hearts from that first kiss.

For this is love.